Monday, August 13, 2012

2012 Santa Cruz Internation Triathlon - Race Report

Yesterday, Grumpy and I got up before the butt crack of dawn to be in Santa Cruz bright and early so I could race in the Santa Cruz International Triathlon. Santa Cruz is such a wonderful place to race right along the coast. Running along West Cliff Ave. is wonderful since even when the marine layer finally burns off, there is still a nice little sea breeze to keep you cool. The sea lions call to you and the waves are amazing in the power with which they hit the cliffs. Making this extra special was the fact there would be several friendly faces out there with me.

We got there disgustingly early and found parking very close to transition. My club, Silicon Valley Tri Club, had 2 rows of racks which I was glad to use. Before leaving my spot, I rehearsed transition 3 times -- swim in, bike out, bike in, and run out. Nothing forgotten. Everything in it's place. Time to head down to the beach.

Pea Soup
They were just setting up the swim course as the marine layer was just starting to lift. Soon the buoys were in the water, the pro's were off, the anthem was played, and the younger women were off. I met up with my friend Johanne and we waited in the corral together.

Hang a right at the buoy
We started off together to do the two loops. My instructions were to ease into the swim over the first 200 yards. Given my recent shoulder stiffness, I worked on proper form.

First loop done but, I need a breather. Um... time for a big wave
Johanne finished her first loop a minute later - kind of like cat and mouse.
I'm out of the water but there is a long run to transition.
Johanne is still a minute later.
Swim: 35:12.8  PR (34 seconds)

T1: 2:02.1

My instructions were to go easy the first 20 minutes on the bike. Let the heart rate settle down. At this point, I realized my power meter was dead. The plan to race with steady watts wasn't going to happen (pissed about this). Instead, I would ride by feel, RPE, speed, and keep Johanne in sight.

Out on the bike course, Johanne and I leaped frog as we each tried as hard as we could at the same time reserving energy for the run.

4 loops done.... Johanne in the background
Bike: 1:20:16.6 PR (by 13:46)

T2:  1:14.0

My goal on the run was to keep the first mile EASY and run the rest as mile repeats with 2 minutes easier between each mile.

Last of the lead
Still 1 minute behind ... not for long!
I was hoping to hold her off past the hill about a quarter mile in, but Johanne "The Flash" zipped passed me running up the hill. So, then I was hoping to get as close to the turn around as I could before seeing her on the return.

Johanne finishes first -- Good job!





Several minutes later, here I am!

 Run: 1:09:55.0 
Overall:  3:08:40.5 PR (24 minute)


Besides Johanne, there were lots of other friendly faces and voices out there. People from my tri club were out there cheering us on. Dave (Johanne's husband) said "Hi" out at the turnaround. One of the guys that swims with me in the morning, Joe, was out there. A new friend and other ELF athlete, Jennifer, was out there. So much fun.


Johanne took 1st place and I tagged along for 2nd!








4 comments:

  1. Fun race! Great job riding without your power meter too :) I told Dave that one of these days I was going to go old school and race without my Garmin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Huge PR! So awesome :) I wish I'd been able to do this one this year...next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a ginormous PR and 2nd to boot! Great job out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun seeing you at the race! Congrats again. Great race report... I have no photos for mine so I'll be directing folks over here to check out the course :-)

    ReplyDelete