Obviously, my long term goal is to get back down to a healthy weight and be active. That's pretty vague. I have dinner reservations to a 3 star restaurant in 6 weeks. I'd like to fit in one of the dressy outfits that I already own. So, I'm going to set a mini-goal to be down by 5 pounds and to be up to 8 hours of training per week by then. Although 6 weeks is a bit long, it is also roughly the same amount of time that habits begin to happen.
Now I need to develop the process by which that will happen. What am I going to do to make this happen? This is what I see as a full process. Probably too much to bite off at the beginning.
- Write weekly menus that support my calorie and fuel goals. This means develop plans that reduce simple carbs and processed meats while increasing vegetables especially paired with healthy protein.
- However, I will continue to include some special treats to keep life happy. I've found that I have felt deprived in the past... and that totally sucks.
- Write weekly workout plans that support my activity goals. This needs to be a balanced mix of swim, bike, run, and strength. Easy days mixed in with high intensity workouts.
- Make at least 8000 steps per day.
- Get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night.
- Use MFP, Strava, and Fitbit to motivate me on my journey.
- Find motivational quotes while eating lunch -- I have found that I struggle more in the afternoon than any other time of the day.