Monday, May 25, 2015

2015 Morgan Hill Sprint Aquabike

Between waiting for pictures and a very busy work week, I'm behind getting this race report out.

A week ago, I did my second race of the season. I LOVE that USA Productions has fully embraced AquaBike and offered it for their Morgan Hill Sprint this year. The hills around the Morgan Hill reservoirs are beautiful whether green in the winter or yellow in the summer. I love racing this area any time.

I've been focusing on a big season goal and it's been a great boost in motivation. Whether the workouts are dull or super hard, I think of my goal. It's going to take focus and consistency to get this done. And then, suddenly I'm out of the pool for two weeks because of an inner and outer ear infection. UGH! Life happens. But, it happens for all of us doesn't it.

Uvas Reservoir August 2014

Normally, the water at Uvas comes up to the end of the cement ramp. However last year, fourth year of drought, caused this race to be held at Oyster Bay (40 miles north in the San Francisco bay). The SF bay area only got 3-4 actual rain storms this winter so, I had fully expected to have to run this race in the back up location we used last year. Surprise! Those few storms had enough in them to bring the water up to 70% full.

The race is a 3/4 mile swim and a 16 mile loop around both Uvas and Chesbro reservoirs over a two-lane rural road of rolling and sometimes very steep hills. I know each uphill, downhill, turn, pot-hole, and gravel pit. And the weather was forecast to below 60's and overcast - can you say perfect?

The day before the race, coach had me do a short swim. It's supposed to be an open water swim at the site but, they don't allow swimming in these reservoirs normally so, I was at the pool. The thing I wanted to figure out is how much and how hard do I need to warm up. Once, I had that dialed in, I knew this race like I'd already done it.


I'm not sure why but, I was very relaxed again. I knew what I needed to do and when to do it. Grumpy is still hobbling around so, he wasn't able to go with me again. But, that allowed me to actually chat with a few other racers. I got to transition early and decided not to rack with my tri-club in preference to a rack closer to bike out. Learning from the grave mistake I made at the Half Moon Bay race, I rehearsed T1 repeatedly.

I made sure I was in the water in plenty of time to warm up per my new knowledge. The waves went off every 4 minutes and my wave was the last to go off. When the horn went off, I went strong and hard. I could see a few people to my right fall behind and as I reached the first turn buoy, I started reaching the straggling yellow caps (wave 4 minutes before me).  Even more surprising, before I reached the second turn buoy, I passed a few more yellow caps and a red cap (8 minutes before me). I couldn't see where the rest of my wave was. I knew I was swimming strong, straight, and clean. As I rounded the final turn buoy, it got crowded. I swam over yellow caps, red caps, and even a silver cap (12 minutes ahead of me!). I looked at the official time and my jaw dropped. I had a very decent swim.

Look how far up the water is!!!
My swim goal was sub 28:00 and I kicked it. More importantly, I'm zeroing on what effort to put into the swim. I had more in my tank.

As I had rehearsed, I was in an out of transition quickly and on the bike fairly smoothly. My goal for T1 was to have the fastest transition of all AquaBikes. NAILED it.

The bike course starts fairly flat allowing my heart rate to drop a little. Being in the last wave, I passed numerous people on the first climb. The power wasn't showing on my Garmin so, I was going by feel. This is a Sprint so, pretty much go hard for an hour. The downhill and turn at the bottom was fairly free of other riders. I could go as fast and wide as I needed. Once onto the flat, I started passing people again. I began to play leap frog with a couple of guys and realized I wasn't focusing enough. I hit the steep uphill and lost the guys. A woman passed me and when I got to the top, I saw her off in the distance. I decided I was going to catch her and I kept the pressure on the peddles. I caught her on the final up hill and passed her quickly. Many people were struggling here. I had no idea who was in my division and who wasn't.


I pressed hard to the dismount line being VERY careful not to go over. I had loosened my shoes but, the sweat kept them on tight. My goal on the bike was sub 58:00. Again, smashed that!

NOTE: If I'm not wearing socks, I need to use powder.


Since my race was over as soon as I hit T2, I took my time getting over to the finish line. I had no idea what my time was. I decided to get out of the wet clothes and find some food.

After a long wait, they posted the early results. Every one gathered round the board but, I managed to squish in and I saw my name was listed 3rd. Ok. I'll stick around for awards then.

After another long wait, they started awards. They decided to start with the oldest first which was kind of fun. It was a joy to give a standing ovation to Harriet Anderson for taking her division of F80-84. But, after 45 minutes of waiting, I was beyond ready to go. Finally, women AquaBike division was announced.

Third place: Rosie Thompson

... oops, I must have read the list wrong. That's ok. I worked hard and there was some competition out there today. I'll just keep working harder. More consistently. I'll get there.

Second place: Sara Cutrignelli

... yeah.... I wonder what their times were.

First place: Me

????? What????? OMG!
USA Productions provided all of the race photos for free!

I had read the sheet wrong. I was 3rd PERSON in but, 1st WOMAN in. Completely in shock.

Coach has been giving me some very challenging workouts and I'm eating them up. I plan to keep going.



No comments:

Post a Comment