Saturday, May 2, 2015

Shouting down the voice

Just a short note on a training break through I had today.

Time and time again, when the going gets tough in a race, I'd give up. At that moment, I just don't care enough to fight for it. The theme of this year is to "Do it with confidence" and to that aim, I've been working on my mental toughness and my grit bucket.

I've done a lot of reading since the beginning of the year (which I talked about here). I've continued with:

  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain which helped me to sort out some non-athletic ideas. Interestingly, it led me to be extremely relaxed before my last race. Normally, I'd have Grumpy to shield me from the noise and commotion but, he couldn't be there. And yet, I was fine.
  • Choke: What the Secrets of the Brain Reveal About Getting It Right When You Have To by Sian Beilock which discussed studies that showed writing about what's important to you and your values can improve your performance in clutch situations. 
I've come to believe that doing this reading alone has helped me has helped me improve my mental stamina.

This week, I had several hard bike workouts. Each built on the previous workout's tired legs. Today, it was 3 repetitions of 10 minutes each of hard peddling. I put a movie into the DVD player not really thinking too much about WHAT the movie was.

After the first 10 minutes, I doubted I could do two more.

As the second repetition began, the voice in my head was already starting to come up with an excuse as to why I couldn't do a third:

"Dear Coach - My legs were tired."
"Dear Coach - This was just too hard for me."
 To start the third repetition, I bargained with my voice. We'll do it 2 minutes at a time. Just go for the next 2 minutes like you're supposed to. Five minutes in, the voice figured out my little scream. Suddenly, I latched on the montra from the movie that was on (Unbroken).

If I can take it; I can make it.

That was it... My head was filled with it. Nothing else entered for the next 5 minutes.  Suddenly, it was over and I was spinning easily. I have NEVER done this before. I've never pushed this far past where my body wanted to quit so badly. I wonder if I can transfer this mental strength to running.

IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.IF I CAN TAKE IT; I CAN MAKE IT.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment