Sunday, September 18, 2011

Amazing end to peak week

This week has been a week of contemplation. I really want to do a HIM next year. Early in the week, I had convinced myself that any thing less, would mean I'm a failure. I struggled to get in the time needed for an Olympic. How would I do trying to train for a HIM?  The nail in the coffin was when I asked Grumpy if he'd support me doing a HIM and he answered "No". I also looked at my times, and frankly, I don't want to do a 7 hour HIM. 

I was pretty bummed about that and very confused as to what I should plan for next year. I just bought the book Your Best Triathlon by Joe Friel. Since I'm at the end of the season, I jumped ahead and in the last chapter I read:
"Am I Racing the Right Distance?  ... Or perhaps you are racing Olympic distances even though your speed is not great and your endurance is. If this description fits you, maybe you should move up to the half-Ironman distance."
Some how, everything fell into place. No, I won't be doing a HIM in 2012. But now I am actually planning it for in 2013 - as in, I'm doing it. Not afraid to plan it. Confident to plan it. In the mean time, I've got plans for 2012 and a lot of work to do.

Saturday, I did the Jan Lipson Ride For Diabetes which my friend Molly put on. This is a small event that benefits the Diabetes Technology Society. I went into the ride with a new attitude and my goal was to ride those 30 miles as fast and hard as I could. My plan was to leave nothing in reserve.

With in the first 3 miles, I picked up my first drafter and had lost Grumpy. No problem, I'm having a blast. Once I made it over the steep hill and started the rolling hills, I started getting glimpses of Grumpy in the distance. That meant the fast guys had dropped him and my mission was to catch him! It took a few miles and some really hard peddling, but I did catch him. At this point, we picked up 2 more drafters and I was ready to draft off of Grumpy. About the time we reached Old Almaden, Grumpy was spent. So, I pulled again. Some how, I dropped Grumpy going up those little inclines. We reached the turn around point. I waited for Grumpy and the drafters used the trees. The way back was peddle as fast as possible. At the end, Grumpy pulled ahead just so he could said he won -- really???   
30 miles 2:02 not bad for the head wind, hill, wait, and stop lights. Stoked!

This morning, I met up with a group of PinkLadies that are doing the San Jose Rock & Roll Half Marathon. They had 10 miles to run and I had 9. We met at Los Gatos Creek trail for an out and back. There's NO WAY I was going to keep up with them. My goal was to do my run as close to my Big Sur Half Marathon pace as I could -- and honestly, I didn't want them to get back too much before me. Going south, the trail is a slight incline. I worked HARD to keep my pace up. Going north, the trail is a slight decline -- woohoo!
9 miles 1:42:11 AND I BEAT THEM BACK WITH TIME TO SPARE!!  Stoked!

Next week is the Mermaids Mighty Triathlon - I'm ready!

2 comments:

  1. I love this whole post!!! Another development year to work on speed and endurance is no bad thing at all, it'll just make your HIM finish even more badass!!! I can't wait to hear what races you are considering (and can humbly offer my opinion on lots of them LOL). And I love that you had such an awesome training weekend!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have 1 definite in mind and general guidelines for the others. I will definitely appreciate your advice!

    ReplyDelete