Saturday, May 19, 2012

Can I get an Amen

Jumping for joy that I got to so some hill climbing in a less restrained way than a few weeks ago. On the training schedule for today was Hill Strength - Hallelujah!

But first, I was to do a little warm up. So, I decided to throw the bike in the car and drive out to the rural area about 20 minutes south. Grumpy declined to go with me thinking it was just too much work. In reality, getting past all that residential, traffic, and stop lights was FABULOUS.

My warm up was a nearly flat, non-stop, 35 minute ride into a headwind. It was interesting to note my speed as that is the speed I ride on the trainer. 


At the appointed time, I turned onto "the hill". The hill I chose is actually in the race I'll be doing in a few weeks. Don't be fooled. It was nicely shaded the whole way, but this hill is tough. There were a couple of points I started to wonder if I'd need to get out of the saddle.


Once I made it to the top, it was clear it wasn't the hill that coach had ask me to find. I decided to go down the back side of the hill and climb from that side which was more what I was supposed to do.

Finally, it was time to turnaround. I was ecstatic when I found that the wind had held direction. I was going to have a tail wind AND as light decline on the way back.


I really love riding hills. It's like communing with nature.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! At some point I need to learn to ride up hills :)

    ReplyDelete