Sunday, July 31, 2011

End of a good training week... (and July totals)

Vineman was yesterday. Always gets me motivated and a little over zealous *sigh*. It's a long rode to get there and one that is only traveled one step at a time. Everything in it's time.

This week was an awesome week at swim. Without telling us why, coach had us do (in my case) 100 yards for time (New Pool PR 1:45). He then divided that time in half so I had to make 50 yards in 53 seconds 16x on the 2 minutes with a 50 EZ after every fourth hard 50. And I nailed each one -- all a little faster than 53 seconds. Last year, I would have struggled to make 1:05. Progress. That's what this year is all about - Do It Better.

After 2 weeks of not being able to get out for a long ride, Grumpy mapped a 53 miler that took us from the foothills to the bay and back.  I was a little worried about the distance since I haven't done that distance for a couple of months. I decided to work on drafting. But that meant I had to keep up enough with Grumpy to be able to draft.

I needed to back off from drafting in order to take this shot. The point is, I was actually keeping up with him! Most of my pictures have him as a tiny spec in the distance.

The last 4-5 miles out to the bay was on multi-use trails. Riding around the bay was literally cool but, a little crowded with people having troubles staying to the right.

This was a very long mostly zone 2 ride and nicely finished off the month.



I'm NOT training for IM. But I'm right on target for the Santa Cruz Mermaids Olympic in September. A little disappointed in the biking numbers, but I'm focusing on running.

2 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned that I love that you call him Grumpy on your blog? :-) Nice job for the month!!! And over 1000 miles on the bike for the year isn't shabby either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although little of this is fast, I love watching the numbers grow. I wish I had tracked last year. I know these numbers would swamp them. I can't wait for next year... kind of scary what's involved with the next step. (And, he says he's NOT Grumpy!)

    ReplyDelete