Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hard Decisions: I need a Time Turner Watch

Sorry if this is a little boring. I'm trying to organize my priorities and have a bit of a history of what I was thinking during the process.


Obedience 

Each year, I set myself several goals. I try to make them feed into some longer range over arching goal. This year's goals have solid plans behind them. All I have to do is execute the plans and stay injury free.
 
One of my goals for this year was to get Shelby into the obedience ring. Today she got her Beginning Novice title at the Monterey Bay Dog Training Club's Obedience Trial in Watsonville.

But now that we've gotten this, what's next -- get her CD? And, what do we need in order to accomplish that? That will take more than 1 hour per week -- perhaps 3 hours per week and several days at trial. TIME!

Hall's Canine Shelby Cobra RE, BN, CL3, CL4-H, CL4-S, PDI, PSII

Agility

My goal for Agility this year, was to get Shelby into the AKC ring and to get her out of level 4 in CPE. AKC was so successful, we're 1 JWW and 1 Standard shy of the Novice title. The end of October we may exceed our goal for AKC Agility. In Cpe, Shelby needs 1 level 4 Standard but, she has 4 more opportunities this year.

So what's next -- get her C-ATCH? That will take many many days at trial next year. A lot more opportunties than she had this year. TIME!

Triathlon
My goal for this year was to just do it better and I think getting a few placements means I've met this goal.

1st AG Stanford Treeathon Duathlon
1st AG Finish Line Productions Dip and Dash
A bunch of other things that I was far from placements, but I wasn't last.

So what's next -- do a Half-Ironman? Here's where I'm choking. According to Joe Friel's Triathlon Bible, the annual hours per race distance is:
  • Sprint - 300-500
  • Olympic - 400-500
  • Half-Ironman- 500-700
My projected annual hours for this year is 350 hours. I'd need to put in almost double what I'm doing now. TIME!


Any one of these by themselves is possible. All of them take more time than I've been devoting this year.  It's time for some hard decisions.



1 comment:

  1. It IS hard to balance the dog stuff and the racing stuff. I tend to break it up by time of year...winter is base training for racing, which leaves more time for dog events. Summer is prime racing/big training season, which means lots of dog classes and less competition. Fall tends to mean no more races, which is a good time to get back into competition after training hard all summer. Whatever you choose, I know you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete